Thank you for finding us, but we've moved:
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Time, Hail a Cab- Josh

2 posters

Go down

Next Time, Hail a Cab- Josh Empty Re: Next Time, Hail a Cab- Josh

Post by johntfs Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:18 am

Josh looked over at Kilpatrick. "I'm sorry, Lord Kilpatrick, but figure it's probably better here for the time being that it would've been back at Elysium. Less bullets going off here, anyway. Anyway, I'm going to take a look at this brain spider thing. Figure if we get that resolved you can get back to dealing with your crises and I can deal with the morgue thing. Though to be honest with you, I think the Carthian stuff has probably already hit the fan."

Josh then gave what he hoped was a respectful bow/nod and began looking for a spare computer so he could begin his research.

Before he did so he buttonholed Dr. Okan one last time. "Okay, listen, you called these things "Brain Spiders," right? So, has anybody done any CAT scans, PET scans or MRIs on the brains of the victims? Figure if I can get a look at the medical tests and data, it might help narrow things down a little. I've got an encrypted online cache of information dealing with dark, strange stuff, so anything you have will help narrow things down. For that matter, if I could get a secure webcam and actually interview or examine some of the victims as well, that'd be really helpful, too, I think."

"For that matter, if any of the Mages working for you have some sort of communal library and infor-source that I could access, that'd be pretty helpful as well. What I have is fairly specialized and it's not really super-extensive."

Josh Weinberg

johntfs
Player
Player

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:47 pm

Kilpatrick's expression was hard to read, either because he wasn't sure what to make of what you were saying, or because he knew exactly what to make of it. Okun on the other hand, was some mix of fascination and concern. He seemed delighted at first at what you had discovered. But his eyes narrowed and he looked down and away while he took a moment to consider the idea of having to hault his research.

"Mmm, I see. I was worried about this, but I've been finding the same thing. Every experiment we run is always off by some random variable. I suspect we were lucky to get any results at all with an incomplete set."

He thought for another long moment before realizing Kilpatrick was growing impatient. "Alright, it's probably not a good idea to go back through, I'll see if I can get you two a ride when they release the building. I don't suppose you'd be willing to leave that one he-"

"No. But I am interested in where you found that one", he daid, motioning to the orb suspended in the machine in the center of the room.

The doctor didn't know. And after a few more minutes of them goin back and forth, with the a not so subtle goal of prying as much information from each other as possible about them and getting nowhere, it finally became apparent that neither mand was going to relent. For some reason, Kilpatrick never attempted some form of dark magic on him to get the information.

Finally the conversation shifted to exaclty what the doctor meant by 'release the building'. The building had gone into a medical lockdown after the brainspider infestation became apparent. Kilpatrick was furious, but there was nothing Okun could do, and he finally left.

You were free to roam this floor, as it was more or less contained for the time being. But armed guards were watching the stairs and elevators, so trying to use them was inadvisable. Kilpatrick made a couple phone calls, and you managed to overhear that for some reason the Sheriff wasn't answering his phone. That just left you and your plans to investigate the morgue and brainspide problem yourself.

Dr. Okun

Claymore
Supporting Storyteller
Supporting Storyteller

Number of posts : 315
Registration date : 2009-01-26

http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=15037

Back to top Go down

Post by johntfs Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:22 pm

"Ah, Dr. Okan, you might want to let go. Lord Kilpatrick really isn't that much for the touchy-feely," Josh said, wincing against the burning sting in his hand. "Tell you what, why don't you go contact Ms. Jones so she can help see to the Regent's wishes, okay? And yes, a doctor, or at least a nice topical painkiller, would be nice."

To the Regent himself, Josh nodded a bit grimly. "I take it your trip was a little less eventful than mine? I probably shouldn't have been holding the thing when it activated. But anyway, I was transported to yet another realm different from this one. Odd place, with rivers like fire that resolved into dark water. I encountered a being that was the living, well, alright, the image of Charon, the Ferryman of Greek mythology."

Josh's eyes narrowed as he considered. "Though it's easily possible that that was the only form my mind knew to put him in by virtue of his office in that strange realm. In any case, he told me quite pointedly that I did not belong where I was and then I snapped back to this realm very much like an overstretched rubber band. Which was probably what I was at that point."

Josh then rounded back on Dr. Okun. "Which means we've attracted the attention of yet another extra-dimensional being of power. Which means we're going to have to be a lot more careful in the future about how we experiment with these things."

johntfs
Player
Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:04 am

Kilpatrick picked up the orb and looked at it curiously, then back at you. "You should get that patched up", he said, remarking on the burn marks on your hand. Oddly enough they weren't that bad. It hurt like hell, but from the amount of heat the orb put out, you were surprised to find you still had a hand left at all. "The Ferryman?"

One of the scientists, along with Dr. Okun rushed in. "It worked. It worked! Oh my...", he said when he suddenly noticed the wound. Turning to the other scientist, "Fetch the doctor, would you? See if James is still in the building.

Don't worry Josh, we'll get that patched up in no time."
Then without warning, he grabbed the Regent's hand to shake it. "And you must be the great Mr. Kilpatrick I've been hearing about!"

Kilpatrick seemed less than pleased that a mortal was acting so familiar with him. "Lord", he corrected the physisit bluntly.

"Lord Kilpatrick, sorry. So... what was it like?"

Kadman Kilpatrick

Claymore
Supporting Storyteller
Supporting Storyteller

Back to top Go down

Post by johntfs Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:47 am

"Aaaooooww!" Josh groaned as his smacked against the wall, the Orb rolling from his hand. He opened his eyes to see the blurry form of the Regent looking at him and felt the fear and wonder at his encounter with... whatever it was surging through him making him tremble.

And making him feel hot. A light sweat broke out on his forehead as a

Fire

feeling rose up in him. Something

burning

inside him seemed to reach hungrily for the Regent, eager to share the warmth within.

Josh Weinstein rolled 7d10s for Res + Comp -1, with a target of 8, rerolls on 10, and botches deactivated.
Dice Results: 7 6 1 2 5 9 8
2 successes

With an effort of will, Josh slammed the door on the odd feeling in order to concentrate on the matters at hand. The

Fire

feeling left slowly, like a sulking child that hadn't gotten its way. This time.

"Okay," Josh said, scrabbling to his feet and trying to shake off the dizziness in his head. "Let's not try that again. Figure next time the Ferryman'll want my pocket change and I left it in a completely different dimension from that one."

johntfs
Player
Player

Back to top Go down

Next Time, Hail a Cab- Josh Empty Next Time, Hail a Cab- Josh

Post by Claymore Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:17 am

In Elysium, you clearly hear a handful of shotgun rounds go off, and a couple of shouts, in the span of a few seconds. Not surprisingly, the Regent looked very uneasy. After you got confirmation over the phone, nothing happened for a long awkward moment. All at once though, the orb in your hand got extremely hot.

Being of a scientific mind, it suddenly occurred to you that the circumstances of traveling with this object have been a little different every time. The first time it was in Kale's pocket, but it clearly didn't get this hot. But then, it was fueled by the much more natural means of a spell. The second time, no one was actually touching it.

This time was the first time anyone was actually touching it as several thousand amps were being piped through its counterpart. Sparks began to fly from it as the orb now glowed with heat. For some reason though, you were unable to let go. As your blood came in contact with the orb, you saw visions of a somewhat familiar realm. Reality began to flicker out like a dieing lightbulb, and be replaced with a dark expanse of rocky terrain, lit only by rivers of fire. You became extremely dizzy.

You felt no pain. You felt nothing, detached from both realms, standing, but floating at the same time. But the effect the transition was having on your corporal form was much more violent, as you got sick on the floor. You didn't see that however. Your senses were still locked in what looked like the spirit realm.

This was not the spirit realm however. You had visited it more than once already, and this felt altogether different. You were in a fishbowl designed to feel like the spirit realm. As the transition settled, the rivers of fire became dark water, and the world stopped spinning long enough to get a good look at what was around you. To your right stood a dark figure in a black cloak. Shadow concealed the creature's face, and long bony fingers extended from its sleeve to hold onto a long stick. It stood on a small ferry in the water, with ornate designed carved in the wood, and an oil lantern hanging from one side.

The creature saw you as soon as you saw it, and extended the pointer finger of its free hand your direction.

"YYoouu ddoo nnoott bbeelloonngg hheerree.."

Suddenly, as if a rope were tied around your waist and being reeled in attached to some distant point in the sky, you were lurched back from that realm, watching it fall back into the distance and fade into shadow as you reentered the realm of the living. You're immediate fate wasn't any better there however, as your coporial form also flew several feet backwards for no apparent reason.

The real world was extremely bright by comparison, and as you blinked your eyes into focus, you found yourself laying in the test chamber you found yourself in last time, next to a very confused-looking Regent. Not confused because he just teleported, but because he was still on his feet wondering why you weren't.

Claymore
Supporting Storyteller
Supporting Storyteller

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down